Monday, January 4, 2010

I'm starting to feel the effects...

I woke up this morning feeling a little…better. Nothing huge. Perhaps not so much “great” as “not so bad”.

Been dealing with a bit of water-weight, but that’s because I’ve been having more sodium than usual (I’m “sodium-sensitive”) and not enough water to help flush things out. It’s interesting how drinking more water helps reduce water weight. I know why, scientifically…I’ve just always found it amusing.

I’m sure part of my improvement is related to the fact that I started back on my supplements yesterday. I take a number of them to help combat deficiencies in my diet due to poor nutrition. Not so much because of what I’m eating now as due to the poor eating habits I’ve maintained for far too long. Note: No, I’m not interested in getting any sort of spam about nutritional supplements. The routine I have works. Not to mention that I loathe spam. And spammers.

I made some mighty tasty Chicken Soup with Greens late last night. I had the midnight munchies and threw it together. I thought about calling it Green Chicken Soup, but figured the mental image might be a bit much.

I need to cook up some other grains besides millet. Don’t get me wrong…I really like millet (yes, I know…it’s “bird seed”). But it’s been in just about everything I’ve eaten for the last four days, including the aforementioned Chicken Soup with Greens. It’s time for a change-up.

It was hard getting back on the diet…err, lifestyle change…but the biggest obstacle was mental. Thinking about “all those foods” I couldn’t have. That’s why I finally focused on the “One At A Time” part of it. Once choice at a time. One change at a time. One step at a time towards my goal. If I look at the whole journey, it’s overwhelming. I can do one step. And then another. And another.

This morning I found some of the fudge my daughter gave us for Christmas. Good fudge. Tasty fudge. But I looked at it and not only did I NOT want some, I thought, “Bleah”. There wasn’t even a craving there. A few days ago, I wouldn’t have thought twice about snagging a piece or three. An interesting note: I’ve heard that if you’re craving chocolate, it can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. Due to my fibromyalgia and other issues, magnesium is something I really need to take, but I haven’t consistently taken my supplements for awhile. I’ve been having horrible chocolate cravings lately…something I don’t normally do. One of the supplements I started back on was my magnesium. Today…no chocolate cravings. Hmmm…

Being in the middle of this lifestyle change wasn’t the hard part. Starting it was. Today, looking back…I’m glad I started back on it. I’m feeling better enough to remember that it’s well worth it.

One choice at a time.

[Via http://oneatatime86.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment