Monday, January 18, 2010

Median Nerve Block Pt 1 = Rest & Relief

I had the Median Nerve Block on the right side at the end of November.  The procedure starts just like the diagnostic one I posted about earlier. You are taken into a room and once prepped (clothes arranged while lying on the bed sso that the dr has access to the points injections are needed. The a set of 5 injections are given. I know there is a ‘tube’ through which the electrodeis placed into the nerve ending. Each one is burnt for a matter of seconds. I did feel the injection and a electrical shock kind of like touching a small live wire. It was not excruciating but it was noticeable. I think the needles set my Fibromyalgia off. I did have small puncture marks for days to weeks. The first few days I was really on the sofa not feeling well. I have promised to offer a realistic view point from my perspective on these procedures and medications. My Fibro has flared and it blurred the line between pain from the procedure and Fibro. The procedure was on Wed and I was in church on Sunday.

By the end of the first week I was starting to feel some of the good side effects. I was able to get up and work around the house a little without some of the pain in my lower back. But I still had other problems that I say is my hip not back. On the 2nd Wed I was suppose to go in for the Median Branch Nerve Block on the left side. The Monday before I changed the appointment into a consultation one and I refuse to have the left side done. Before all of these procedures I was having no pain on my left side. Or at least not anything like the right. The dr insisted that from my MRI’s the left side also needed to be treated. I think the first injections just lubricated my left side so I did start feeling the pain. On Wed I was unable to go. It was another headache, lay on the sofa day. My appointment was rescheduled until Monday. By the weekend I felt MUCH better. I was able to do limited activities. I did get tied up on Monday with family problems and did not get to the appointment and as of this date I have not rescheduled.

It is now a full month after the procedures. I do feel much better. I can go for long periods of time doing normal activity without the back problem I was having on the right side. The problems I was having driving (my right leg and side had much pain from the pressure of using the gas pedals) are gone. If I do something big like shopping for hours or cleaning out a closet I do suffer pain but it does not occur every second like it did before nor to the degree it was.

I completely say that if this lasts 6-18 months like I was told to expect then it is definitely worth it. I am feeling pretty well in regards to the areas these injections are designed to help. I can pick my grandchildren up for hugs, I cannot carry the bigger one around but I can pick hm up for hugs. If needed I can drive o check on my family in the next tow. I will not do this much but I can without pulling over to the side of the road from the pain.  I will not have the proceduare on the left side. Not at this time. If the pain gets to the point it did on the right and interferes with my day to day activities to a degree it stops me from doing it then I will. But it will have to be very much so than now.

I know God is in control. He has enabled me a respite so that I can take care of family business. So that I can pick my grandchildren up and hug them. So I can continue through a little longer. He is able to do so much more than I can conceive and I am grateful during every movement I could not have done before.

“Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.” Psalm 16:9

[Via http://chronicjoy.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment