Monday, January 11, 2010

OFF COURSE BUT STILL SEEING THE GOAL

During these past twelve years, I have been given many different prescription drugs to help with my various symptoms.  Inevitably, I would have to stop taking them since adding side effects  to the already present symptoms were not tolerable! Once again, I think I am experiencing side effects from one of my prescriptions .   My thermal regulator is compromised and I am always warmer than anyone else in the room.  Throughout the day I will have spells where the heat  increases until I feel lightheaded and nauseous and extremely uncomfortable. The problem is that this prescription seems to be helping to some extent with the heat changes, but for some reason it is increasing my light- headedness and dizziness and weakness!  I have found over the years that often the side effects merely increase some of the symptoms I am already experiencing which makes it difficult to know whether it is a side effect!  I am hoping I can tolerate taking a lower dosage of this pill since it was helping to some extent moderate the heat that was  waking  me continually throughout the night.

It is difficult not to become discouraged when my progress is once again hindered by these frustrating but predictable occurrences.  However, recently I saw a great visual demonstration that keeps me optimistic.   I was watching a DVD from Jack Canfield’s program, “Break Throughs To Success”.  He had a person stand twenty feet in front of him saying, “You’re On Course” when Jack walked straight ahead.  When Jack began to take a side step or began walking in circles, the person would say, “Off Course.”  This process would continue until Jack stood directly in front of him.  In other words, no matter how many times Jack got off course, as long as he got back on course,  he still reached his destination!  This demonstration was to impress his viewers of the importance of receiving feedback from others when you are attempting to reach a goal.   For me, what resonated fully was that  no matter how many side steps or setbacks I experience that arise from being chronically ill, I can still attain my goal of becoming healthier.  It may just take a little longer!  Today, I feel like I am a little “off course”, but perhaps after I see my doctor on Friday, I will be given some new ideas on how to get back “on course” and actually stay “on course” for awhile!

[Via http://gaylejervis.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment