Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DRINKING WATER ALL DAY LONG

DAY 21:   Put a pitcher of water in the fridge to ensure that I am drinking 10 glasses of water.

My doctor gives a series of lectures that he wants his patients to attend to enable them to do all that they need to do to get well.  These lectures also help them better understand the types of treatments he gives them.  When I became one of his patients, I began attending the lectures.  Unfortunately, my health continued to worsen and I wasn’t able to attend all of them.  Since then, he has also expanded on each of the topics. I had hoped that I could take his whole series again and the first lecture was on Saturday.  I got ready to go, but minutes before I was to leave, I conceded that I had too many symptoms especially dizziness and I needed to stay home.  Therefore, I decided this week to look at my notes from the first time I attended and review what I learned from his first lecture.

This first lecture was a general overview of the 7 things the body needs:

  1. Adequate fluids
  2. Rest
  3. Oxygen
  4. Nutrients
  5. Sun – Vitamin D and Serotonin
  6. Exercise
  7. Germs

He spent quite a bit of time discussing how the body cannot function without enough water since all of our cells and organs depend on water.  Water acts as a lubricant, forms the base for saliva, forms the fluids that surround the joints, regulates our body temperature, helps to alleviate constipation, regulates metabolism, and plays a key role in the prevention of diseases such as colon cancer.  Interestingly, he mentioned the book  Your Body’s Many Cries for Water whose author maintains that “Unintentional Chronic Dehydration (UCD) contributes to and even produces pain and many degenerative diseases that can be prevented and treated by increasing water intake on a regular basis”.

After discussing the benefits of water, he proceeded to explain that tap water can actually contribute to other health problems since the water treatment plant cannot filter all of the chemicals found in the water. It was rather unsettling to contemplate how all the antidepressants, hormone replacements, contraceptives, and industrial sewage still exist in our water.  He believes that one of the reasons for the increasing trend of males developing breasts and females having periods at a younger age could be attributed to the increased estrogen that people are drinking!  Obviously, he wants his patients to drink water that has either been distilled or to use Reverse Osmosis since these systems better filter out those agents.

We actually have had a Reverse Osmosis System for a few years .  However, we have learned that since our system is older, it is most likely not as efficient filtering all of the toxic materials.  As part of my program of optimizing my healing environment, we may need to investigate this matter further to determine whether we need to upgrade our system.

Most importantly, I need to begin the practice of putting a pitcher of water in the fridge to ensure that I am really drinking ten glasses of water.  I am continually thirsty so I assume I am drinking that amount but I need to know definitely.  Just imagine if I drink consistently enough water  some of the pain might lessen and I would experience more energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment