Sunday, September 13, 2009

A roller coaster day...short note

Yesterday I got my trigger point shots from my doctor – they are not steroids (don’t bother w/steroids because if it is truly Fibromyalgia the steroids will not help) – they are numbing shots. My trigger point injections are used to numb just the worst areas where I have hard knots – sort of like marbles or in some cases golf balls under my skin that can not be broken up with massages (I have much to say about massage therapy but not today). The injections also temporarily break up the knots. Sometimes it lasts for a couple of months, sometimes just a couple of weeks but they offer true relief even if just for a bit.  The knots always come back but any relief is good for me. However the day after I get the shots is not always a good day. Sometimes it is even the worst of days because every spot where the shots were injected HURTS – it’s like my body is rebelling. Thankfully that usually only last for that one day after – so today I was woken up by the pain – and today nothing could touch the pain – at some points I thought cutting my left arm off would be preferable to dealing with it any longer. So I thought “great…fabulous…a really bad day…yee haw!”

But then I won an online contest for an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of a new book from a series I have really been wanting to read. And that little thing…a note in my inbox from an author (just getting any email from a published author is awesome enough)…it changed my day. I went over to twitter and told my book blogging buddies about it…did the Twitter equivalent of jumping up and down and was flooded with warm wishes and congrats and teasing jealous comments. All of it lifted my mood. Then one of the other bloggers commented on how she loved my review of the Julie & Julia movie from my BookObsessed blog and an amazing thing happened, a whole bunch of other people started sending me notes about my reviews and how they enjoyed them and started pushing me to put out the post for a book they knew I finished earlier this week but hadn’t reviewed yet. The pain didn’t go away. I spent most of the day with an ice pack and some of it laying down but I did work on the review after the little push they gave me…their support helped me to do something instead of nothing. Nothing good was expected from the day but I was surprised to find good beyond, through and outside of the pain. I didn’t finish the review but it was more than I’d hoped to do today and for me that too changed my day.

I know this is a bit rambling-ish but I hope the point came across regardless. Sometimes it’s not a good day or a bad day but bits of both and you should grab that good and hang onto it because it make the bad not quite so bad. Ahhh…good night, Heather

[Via http://livingahouseofcards.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment