Friday, September 18, 2009

A LONG COLD SHOWER

The worst thing in the world is to try to sleep and not to.  ~F. Scott Fitzgerald DAY 23:  Continue to find strategies that will improve my sleep.

It has been frustrating to have a conversation with someone and I would mention how my body is always hotter than anyone else’s and how I often get very feverish.  Immediately, I would get a knowing nod, “Yes, doesn’t menopausal hot flashes suck.”  Well, yes as a matter of fact they do.  But try adding heat that is constantly there and then gradually as the afternoon progresses and turns into evening that heat increases to the point that my husband has commented, “You could heat a room.”  I like to think I have saved us considerable money on heating our house since I often don’t often need to put on   the furnace even on our cold winter days.  My family comes home and they tell me they are freezing!

Finally, my current doctor has explained that my thermal regulator has been compromised and it won’t get better until considerable amount of mercury and lead is pulled from my body.  In the meantime, I am always experiencing sleep deprivation.  Greg laughed last night when he read that many people have sleep disorders so that they can’t sleep past 6 a.m.  We both long to have that kind of sleep.  Yes, I have given Greg a sleep disorder since he often wakes up throughout the night due to what he calls “the Furnace” sleeping beside him.

A common sleep pattern for me is to wake up every two hours until around 4 or 5 a.m. when I finally can’t fall back to sleep.  Needless to say, this lack of sleep is a huge component to the pain that I experience.  However, I have tried many different sleeping pills but none can compete with the heat that wakes me up!  They merely make me feel very groggy the next day!

Well, last night I incorporated various strategies that I have done individually before.  First, I stood in a cold shower waiting for my body to be uncomfortably COLD.  Secondly, while I stood in the shower, I practiced some acupressure points while I made some affirmations about my sleeping.  I know that I have some negative emotions around this sleeping problem so that I admitted those emotions but finish with  positive statements.  For example, I said, “Even though I I will never get over this sleeping problem, I know I will get healthy.”.  I added,  “Even though I will never get over this sleeping problem, I deeply and completely love and accept myself.”  I concluded with “Even though I will never get over this sleeping problem, I know that God wants me to have a good rest tonight.”  Then I took a Tylenol to see if that would lower my fever. I also took  3 Melatonin which helps put a person into a deeper sleep.  When I lay in bed, I began focusing on the statement, “I am sleeping until 6 a.m. tomorrow morning.”  Amazingly, I woke up once last night with the heat, took a cold cloth to cool my arms and legs , ran water on my wrists and then washed my face with cold water.  I returned to bed and fell asleep until 6 a.m.!!!

Needless to say, I am trying these strategies again tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment